Tuesday, August 23

Nip/Tuck

Mes Amis

Ch-Ch-Changes... Ooo, a new look for Sprout. Beccy's the woman in charge of the site and I for one think I like the new look. Makes us look all happy and cheery. Except me. But I'm always scowling like that.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible... Stephen King is a very variable author, but I've always had a soft spot for him when he's on form. Like Pet Semetary, a book that shouldn't work but does. I come back to this one like a good snack I look forward to every once in a while. Its junk but damn its good to read it. I knew there was a film version, too, but knowing how bad Stephen King films are, I hadn't really bothered to see it (and me, a lover of bad movies, too!). Until the other night. Channel 5 have gone back to their roots and started doing shitey horror seasons again. I love it when 5 do this. I do hope they show Amityville Dollhouse again or any of the later numbered Jason films. There's some guilty pleasure in watching truly incompetenetly made horror films. Anyway, Pet Semetary isn't all that bad and is ultimately almost faithful to the plot of the book which is surprising. The problem is that the tone's all wrong. Everything is so melodramatic that it makes Tasha Yar (yes, the one who died in the first season of the Star Trek: Next Generation series) look Oscar worthy playing our hero's wife. I mean any emotion is played loud and proud, like they really want to batter us over the head with it all. Which is funny because I was watching the film thinking if the actors all calmed down this would be genuinely fucking frightening. Especially Church the devil-bastard cat. And then there's King himself hamming it up as a vicar for a few minutes. Its all just... a missed opportunity.

But that said, that kid at the end is fuckin' freaky. Even without the special contact lenses. I was scared of him even from the start when he was meant to be all sweet.

Anyway, mes amis

Au revoir

Russel

No comments: