Wednesday, February 15

Ok tell me why I'm wrong...

(But only on this- not generally, right Russel?)
Ok, I hoved on over to Ian Rankin's website
Now, I'm not the best at written english but I always thought if a name or something ended in 's' then you didn't need to add another one when it's an ownership thing.
On Rankin's website it says Rebus's Scotland. I thought it should be Rebus' Scotland.
I'm not picking holes- just trying to keep myself right. Please leap in and tell me why I'm wrong.

Valentines

Well the day is over, did you all have fun?
I got a bear. Just a toy one not a grizzly but it did manage to fufil an ambition for me. Bear Factory, where it came from were supplying free Underwear with your bear and mine came with two attractive pairs of pants. One pair for the bear and one pair *claps excitedly* FOR THE SHEEP.
Yep I have a small toy sheep in white pants.
That made valentines for me.
Oh and someone bought me the bear, I wasn't just trying to buy a friend.
Right?

5 comments:

JamesO said...

The convention (there's no real hard and fast rule), it that you should consider how you would say the word. Thus if in speaking you think it sounds better as 'that was Rebuses problem', the you should spell it Rebus's. If he'd been called Inspector Carstairs, then 'that was Carstairses problem' sounds a bit clunky. You'd be more likely to say 'that was Carstairs problem,' in which case you'd spell it Carstairs' (without the extra s).

As for the sheep, you can get life-size pants for real ones, but I don't think I want to tell you why.

Bugtastic said...

Cheers Gary.
I liked your picture for the archives section on Dundee Uni.
I was trying to find an email address for you for the long promised Lincon Statue thing in edinburgh

Word Ver: onkrrpgx
Which I'm reading as onker pig x

Bugtastic said...

I think I've seen the sheep pants. I did live next to fife you know.
hehe
word ver is making fun today: iiuyp.
ayyy up?

Russel said...

I've always just used instinct. But I think James is right. Certainly that's the way I've tended to treat it.

Grammar is a pain in the arse some days. But without it we'd all write like text-sending numbnuts... I hate that text speak nonsense. A hex on all who use it.

Stuart MacBride said...

I'm going to be an old grammar grouch – the only time you can give a possessive person an apostrophe with no 's' is if they're Jesus. Jesus's – no, Duncans's – yes. Everyone who isn't the son of God gets an 's. Even Rickards's. Seems daft, but that's the law. If you break it, weasels in body-armour break into your house in the dead of night and steal our knees.