Monday, February 6

I'm not a hippy.


I've been gone a long time. I can only apologise. Profusely.
So I thought I would write occasionally about things that concern me. And ultimately you too, as I'm not just gonna write about how I have to shave my belly button or how I got curry paste on the kitchen surfaces and they won't scrub clean.
Nope- I'm gonna go slightly political on you all.
Now, I can hear footsteps running for the door so just wait right there. You came here and you can just wait.
Now: Some background. I'm a student (If you're gonna throw stuff, throw food) and I study aspects of environmental things. Planning law, sustainable development and the like. I also have some opinions on things too. Though you would think looking at me I would have difficulties getting both feet in separate pant legs in the morning. (pants as in knickers btw. Not trousers. Trousers are trousers. Pants are silly)
So I get angry about some stuff and I leave it off the blog. But I've changed my mind.
This morning I listened to a debate on radio scotland about sustainable energy.
I have to say, a lot of milk sloshed out of my fruit n fibre in fury so you can guess that I wasn't too impressed. I don't think enough people are taking this seriously. We are headed for a major, major fuck up. NIMBY's (Not In My Back Yard's) are having a very detrimental effect on our future ability to live.
"Build wind farms" is one proposal. Just not there. Or there. Or here. Or over there say the NIMBY's. and the RSBP reckon that windfarms are gonna nicely chop passing rare species. Plus wind power isn't reliable.
Any other options?
Nuclear power.(Just to be clear here I'm highlighting sustainable power sources- not coal, oil or the other fossil fuels. They've had their day)
So then Friends of the Earth (I'm obviously just an aquaintance of the earth)say "No more Nuclear stations" and they highlight nuclear waste and all the associated fears that go with nuclear power.
All have their detractors. All have supporters. But I think we need to all do some reading and learning because we HAVE to come up with some form of solution. So go do some learning, find out. Because I promise you: this is an issue you will have to come to terms with. All of us. Regardless of where you live.We all have a responsibility to this planet.

I thought I'd also include some fun links for little environmental things to do too. I might do them first and let you know how I got on. How does that sound?

1 comment:

JamesO said...

Everyone wants to save the planet, they just don't want to have to do it themselves. And they certainly don't want to have to give up their toasters and DVD players and holidays in the Costa Packet, so I don't see much hope on the horizon as far as reducing energy use goes.

What's more depressing for me is the complete lack of any strategy for coping with the change that's coming (has already arrived?) regardless of what we do to reduced carbon emissions. Look how well the US administration coped with the aftermath of Katrina, for instance.

And having seen that hat, I can confirm that, no, you're not a hippy.