Thursday, June 9

And the Lord Sayeth... bugger all shall happen

Mes Amis

Mysterious Ways... Revelations should be good and in many ways it is. Look, it comes from the writer of the Omen and its got the reliable Bill Pullman on the screen with creepy twin fashion models and Natascha McElhone. In a wimple. What more could you want?

Well, you could want anything to happen. I mean, for all the signs and portents this mini series is dragging on way too long. Why is Gimli even in this show? I mean he rolls around in his wheelchair and talks about science every once in a while which is presumably meant as a counterpoint to all the religious imagery happening elsewhere, but he just feels... redundant... I mean, this should be a big, exciting show. Its about the end of the world for Goodness sakes. But over the course of four hours we've learned next to nothing about the characters and nobody's sure whether the baby found floating in the sea is Jesus or the devil... and quite frankly, by now I'm beginning not to care... Come on, this thing's gotta get pace. But we did get to see Ms McElhone in a red dress at one point when Bill Pullman pulled the "you have to get out of those nun's clothes to hide from the devil's servants" pickup line. Honestly, does any self respecting nun fall for that one any more?

Respect the chin.... I loved Bruce Campbell's authbiography, If Chins Could Kill a lot. A hell of a lot. Really, the guy's pretty grounded by all signs, and not only that but his self-deprecating humour made for a laugh-out-loud read. It probably helps if you're already something of a fan of Bruce's, um, checkered career. Like all good people of a certain age, I loved Evil Dead (it scared the bejeezus out of me) but preferred EDII and Army of Darkness (because I laughed till milk came my nose at them). Of course, I also adored his recent appearance in the sublime Bubba Ho Tep (where Bruce played an aging Elvis -still alive and in a retirement home - who teamed up with JFK - also stuck in the home and disguised as an aging black man by the secret service - to fight an undead Mummy). And now, Bruce's first novel is out. And the title is one to love: How To Make Love The Bruce Campbell Way. Of course, I am worried. Much as I respect the Chin I have to wonder whether Bruce's talents fall to the fiction, or whether that same authorial voice that made me fall over laughing in If Chins Could Kill is going to interfere with this project. Ah, what the hell, I'll buy it anyway. The fan in me has faith and sometimes, a little faith is rewarded... it certainly was with Chins...

Anyway, till next time mes amis

Au Revoir

Russel

2 comments:

Jen Jordan said...

Bruce Campbell is beloved by the Jordan clan. Army of Darkness (the hand!)and the glorious Bubba Ho Tep which is brilliant in its entirety. The ending is side splittingly, fall on the floor and nearly die laughing funny.

I'd no idea he had a fiction book out. If it succeeds as well as, say, Penn Jilette translates into fiction it should be wonderful. Joy!

Russel said...

Revelations is cack no matter your faith. As you know I'm agnostic but I think the myhthology of Christianity is pretty exciting (The devil, end of days - not the arnie film - all that jazz) and I just don't how you could make something ut of all that exciting mythology and amazong imagery that never moves. Natascha McElhone in a wimple is not enough to keep me tuning in!

As to Bruce - hurrah for Bruce! I must find a copy of this and devour it. I'm sure this was originally meant to be Bruce's guide to relationships but somewhere along the line it wound up a novel. Whatever the case, he's a funny man and I do hope he manages to best my expectations again as with Chins.

"Workshed..."