Sunday, June 5

Scream if you wanna kill Geri

Mes Amis

Sound Wars... It got worse, mes amis, really it did. Things went quiet after a while and the door upstairs slammed. I heard someone go out through the stairwell and breathed a sigh of relief. I settled back to watch the late night repeat of Dr Who (having missed it earlier that evening - and as ever, I absolutely loved this episode) but then something terrible happened. Upstairs Neighbour returned at half two. Orbital came on the stereo full blast. My lights started shaking. Again, no reply from within. I went downstairs, moved to the front of the flat and my bedroom hoping to escape. Except... The music went up and it was no longer Orbital - - this was something far, far worse... this was the kind of music that gets whispered in terrified tones among those who know the horror, the horror.

The fucker put on Geri Halliwell. Followed by The Beautiful (to whom were they beautiful, I ask) South singing that song about Jennifer, Alison, Jessica and a pencil case. It was like a concert in my flat. I couldn't escape. I couldn't make myself heard.

I got two damn hours sleep. It finally quietened about six, but I had to get up for work. I am not a happy man. And every time I go up to have a quiet word, he's out. So I'll leave it for now, put it down to a lot of drink and a one off. But I was kept up (in the worst possible manner) by Geri Halliwell. Someone has to pay.

Mr Kiss Kiss Boom Boom... Even though he did say Fantastic this week, Mr Eccleston is doing a bang up job on the new Dr Who. Screw the kids the BBC say this is supposedly aimed at, this new series is dealing with some really fun themes and isn't afraid to slow the pace a little for a character-centric episode like this one. With the return of the farting Slitheen family (who previously tried to blow up London so they could make some money) we were expecting derring do and ruberry-claw death. Instead we got a sweet little morality tale with Eccelston shining as ever and, more importantly, the bad guy almost gaining our sympathy at some points. That and Billie continues to show us she can act every once in a while (But please, shave those eyebrows!). And then, next weeks ep: reality TV with lasers. How do we know this isn't really happening (Although I would love to see the BB housemates fried to death with extreme damn prejudice)?

BSP... stands for Blatant Self Promotion. And should you so wish, you can go to ebookreviews and read an online interview with me that was conducted recently... I don't half know how spout bollocks, you know... The interview may be on ebook reviews but it is also in the June edition of Anne K Edwards Voice in the Dark newsletter which I think actually goes live to the non subscribers (available on the site) at the end of the month.

Anyway, mes amis, that's all for now

Au revoir

Russel

4 comments:

Russel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Russel said...

The comment above was me trying a joke that screwed up the page.

Regardless, cheers Gary for the suggestion - I shall have my revenge in a subtle and terribly evil fashion.

And even I'm surprised by the lack of blatant plugs in the interview!

Jen Jordan said...

"We do not subscribe to the Harriet Klausner school of reviewing."

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Hee hee.

Snigger.

Under control now. Great interview and loved the outline answer for the'What makes a great mystery story' question.

As to Geri - I lived beneath a neanderthal that play 'Fanfare for the Common Man' every time he got laid. My sister and I ended up in a music war with him - he played Blind Melon a zillion times, we played Ofra Hoza. He played REM 'Losing my Religion' a zillion times, we played Miles Davis - Bitches Brew. Then, in a moment of silence, we put on our copy of Fanfare. He stopped in his tracks above us and verily roared in anger. We cackled like school kids. We won that music war!

Babble.

Russel said...

It was a subtle dig at Ms Klausner, wasn't it? Honestly, what makes me angry is that people put stock in reviews that do little more than tell us the plot of the book before saying, "And its good."

Upstairs neighbour has now been quiet a couple of days - maybe in shame that people know he listens he to Geri. Either that or he's gearing himself up for one hell of an aural assault on his neighbours...