Tuesday, March 1

jeez

It was a quiet day yesterday on the bus home so I decided to get off at the same bus stop as a girl I went to school with. Y'know the whole 'old time sake' thang. So I got off and discovered two things.
1. I was right to avoid her all these years as she is still as irritating as she was then. I mean goddam annoying. Reaally reeeeaallly annoying. Her voice is like a jet of alcohol on a open wound
2. She's worryingly cool about things- the conversation went like this:
Her: "hows your mum?"
Me: "Ah you know, we get by without serious injury generally (small depreciating laugh) How's
yours?"
Her: "Oh she's dying of a rare disease, her organs are atrophying while she's still alive"
Me: (stunned silence for a second) "Oh, I'm really sorry"
Her: "Well these things happen. Did I tell you I have a dog?!"
She then proceeds to detail the poor beast. Now I'm not saying that I wanted a blow by blow account of the whole business but she literally was like "never mind!"
Her mum is the same age as my mum so it was a bit of a reality check.

No comments: